Monday, January 16, 2012

Vietri: No Cure For My Pottery Obsession


I didn't realize till living in Japan what an obsession I have with pottery! Partially it's my love of food, eating and sharing meals with friends and family that necessitates the collection of more earthenware. But it's also my way of taking home a useful--and literal--piece of the foreign countries I've visited.



So, it is only fitting that one of the first places I visited in Italy was the town of Vietri along the famous, breathtaking Amalfi coast. It's an easy highway drive to get there and I've been back 3 times so far.
















The quaint walkable streets are lined with pottery shop after pottery shop, which are decorated with bright, bold tiles and samples of the pottery within.















Stacks of pottery line the shelves, and artists are usually hard at work, hand painting while you browse.












This was my first purchase--an egg plate. As Brian noted when I brought it home, I have never once made deviled eggs in the nearly eight years we've been married. But now that I have an egg plate (which I also thought would serve as a beautiful Easter decoration to display our colored eggs), who knows?! I may start.


These whimsical sea creatures were my second  purchase, for the baby's nursery. I saw them on my first visit, but since I am almost never an impulse shopper, I regretted not buying them and returned on a special mission to get them.






These beautiful Christmas ornaments were my third purchase. Like my mom did while I was young, I usually buy a couple ornaments each year for my girls, usually from significant places we've been, which I will eventually give to them for their own trees. Pink and purple are their two favorite colors.




I will definitely be back many more times! In fact, I already have a few more things on my mental list for Vietri, one of which is a bowl for keeping and draining fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese. The things I never knew I needed till I moved to Italy!

No comments:

Post a Comment